Monday, December 1, 2014

Recipe of the Week - Pumpkin Cranberry Applesauce!


I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving weekend!

I love the seasonal flavors of fall - apples, spices, pumpkin... but I am already getting sick of rich holiday food. 

I made up this recipe this weekend just to use up some apples, but I think it has already become a new favorite dessert in my house! And it uses no sweetener at all - just the natural sugar in the apples.



PUMPKIN CRANBERRY APPLESAUCE

Ingredients: 

8-10 apples (macintosh or cortland type work best)
1 bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 sugar pumpkin
Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, ginger...

First, I microwaved the pumpkin to soften it and make it easier to chop up. In my microwave, this took about 5 minutes on high. 

Slice the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice off the outer rind and dice the pumpkin flesh up into big chunks. 

Core and slice the apples and add them and the diced pumpkin all to one large stock pot. Add cranberries. Cook on medium heat until juices are released and the whole mixture starts to bubble, then cover and let simmer on low until everything starts to soften and blend together when you stir it. 

Options: This recipe is super flexible. Instead of a pumpkin, you could use a butternut squash, some leftover sweet potato puree from thanksgiving dinner, or a can of prepared pumpkin. Be creative and use what you have! 

This recipe is nice and tart the way I like it - but if you have more of a sweet tooth, I think adding some stevia would sweeten this up nicely. When I made it for company, I put a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of the pan before I added the apples. 

Feel free to experiment - and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment